Breed Dogs, Not Pests
The Importance of Repellency
As a breeder, you know that fleas, ticks and mosquitoes can all be a threat to a dog's health. Fleas can lead to health problems such as tapeworm infection, flea allergy dermatitis and secondary skin infections from scratching. Severe infestations can even lead to anemia.
Diseases carried by ticks are called canine vector-borne diseases (CVBD). All it takes is a single disease-carrying tick to infect a dog, and once they do bite and take a blood meal, it doesn't take long for them to transmit disease. A dog can become infected with a CVBD in as little as four hours.1
Once a dog begins to suffer from a CVBD, some of the clinical signs may include:
- Ehrlichiosis: Fever, nosebleeds, weight loss, lethargy
- Lyme disease: Joint pain and swelling, lameness, fever
- Anaplasmosis: Fever, lethargy, loss of appetite, joint pain, lameness, enlarged lymph nodes
- Rocky Mountain spotted fever: Lethargy, loss of appetite, fever, ocular changes, enlarged lymph nodes, weight loss, joint pain, generalized hemorrhages
Some CVBDs can lead to chronic health problems, and even relapse years later.
Plus, mosquitoes can also transmit heartworm disease, which can result in lasting harm to a dog's health and may even lead to death.
Help prevent flea infestations
You already know about the health problems fleas can cause. And if you've ever dealt with a flea infestation, you also know how tough that can be to control.
That's because in a flea infestation, only 5 percent of fleas are adult fleas living on the dog. The remaining 95 percent are immature stages of the flea life cycle in the dog's surroundings:
- 50% flea eggs2
- 35% flea larvae2
- 10% flea pupae2
While feeding on a dog, an adult flea lays an average of 40-50 eggs per day.3
Adult fleas live up to 100 days, so even a mild infestation can produce a lot of eggs.
Flea eggs fall off the dog into the dog's surroundings, where they hatch into larvae in one to 10 days. Five to 11 days later, a larva develops into a pupa.
The pupa lives inside a cocoon for an average of eight or nine days. However, this stage is highly responsive to its environment, and the adult flea may not emerge until conditions are favorable. In fact, fleas can remain in the pupal stage for up to six months.3
Once the flea emerges from the cocoon as an adult, it needs a constant source of blood and seeks out a host on which to feed. As soon it finds one, the flea begins to feed and mate. A female flea begins to produce eggs within 20-24 hours of her first feeding.3
When you understand the flea life cycle, it's easy to see how just 10 fleas that enter the home on a dog can become an infestation of up to 250,000 fleas – on the dog and in the home – within a single month. That's why it's important to kill ALL life stages.
Choose a product that repels and kills
Formulated for dogs, K9 Advantix®
II repels and kills ticks, adult fleas and mosquitoes.
II also kills all flea life stages, repels biting flies and kills lice.
If fleas, ticks and mosquitoes are repelled and killed, they don't bite or attach and cannot transmit disease-causing organisms. By repelling and killing ticks, fleas and mosquitoes, K9 Advantix®
II may help reduce the risk of transmission of disease-causing organisms to dogs.
K9 Advantix® II:
- REPELS and kills ticks, fleas and mosquitoes
- Kills fleas within 12 hours of application
- Kills reinfesting fleas within 2 hours
- Kills ALL flea life stages
- Effectively breaks the flea life cycle by preventing development of fleas, flea eggs, flea larvae (maggots) and pupae (cocoons)
- Prevents fleas on a treated dog from infesting the home
- Repels biting flies
- Kills lice
II flea and tick preventive is an easy-to-apply topical solution, and taking this simple step each month can help protect your dogs by repelling and killing fleas and ticks.
More about K9 Advantix® II:
- It is gentle enough for use on puppies 7 weeks of age and older.
- It's waterproof. We recommend the use of a non-detergent shampoo.
- K9 Advantix® II must not be used on cats, due to their unique physiology and inability to metabolize certain compounds.
Recommend K9 Advantix®
II for the puppies and dogs in your care to repel and kill ticks, fleas and mosquitoes, repel biting flies and kill lice.
for additional information.
II is for use on dogs only.
1Nicholson WL, Allen KE, McQuiston JH, et al. The increasing recognition of rickettsial pathogens in dogs and people. Trends Parasitol. 2010;26(4):205-212.
2Grace SF. Fleas. In: Norsworthy GD, ed. The Feline Patient. 3rd ed. Ames, Iowa: Blackwell Publishing; 2006:106-107.
3Pests that affect human health: fleas infesting pets and homes. Kansas State University College of Veterinary Medicine website. Available here. Accessed April 5, 2012.
©2012 Bayer HealthCare LLC, Animal Health Division, Shawnee Mission, Kansas 66201
Bayer, the Bayer Cross and K9 Advantix are registered trademarks of Bayer.