CLUB PR TIPS & TOOLS
Stand-Alone Events or Activities Throughout the Year
Having events or continuing activities outside the club's annual dog show demonstrates your club's value to the community. Distribute plenty of flyers in local stores to publicize the events as well as sending press releases and media alerts to the media. Below are some ideas:
- Create a "K-9 Law Day" and donate a bulletproof vest to an area K-9 police officer.
- Schedule canine demonstrations, such as agility, obedience or field, at local fairs or parades and/or set up tables and offer information to potential dog buyers.
- Contact town officials and ask if your club and dogs can participate in local parades such as Labor Day, Christmas, etc.
- Create a "Bring Your Dog to Lunch Day" at your workplace.
- Host a "Photo with Santa Day" for pets in your local area.
- Utilize a public park or library front lawn for an AKC CGC test.
- Plan therapy dog visits to local hospitals, veteran homes, and elderly housing.
- Send a representative to teach kids (schools, camps, and clubs) about becoming involved in the sport.
- Raise money and donate trash cans, benches, pooper-scooper dispensers, etc. for a local dog run (have your club's name and web site printed on the items).
- Ask your local city official to issue a proclamation recognizing your program and ask him to declare the day of your event "Responsible Dog Ownership Day" or "Canine Good Citizen Day."